Welcome to Day #3 of Appetizer Week, a multi-blogger event co-hosted by Kim of Cravings of a Lunatic and Kristen from Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker. Whether you are a Denver fan or a Seattle fan , we wanted to make sure you had plenty of ideas for your game day spread. Each day we will be dishing up a different set of appetizers. We hope you enjoy this fabulous group of recipes. Tune in each day starting with Monday, January 20 and ending on Saturday, January 25.
Spicy Bacon Cheese Rounds
When my Tay was a wee little one, she used to looooove those cheesy fish crackers. Those cute little crackers and the “o’s” cereal were two of her favorites to pick up in her tiny little fingers and cram into her mouth. In preschool those little fish made a regular appearance at snack time and it was really cute to see her and all the other little preschool kiddos eating those fish one by one while arguing about something very important to four year olds.
When I see those little crackers I always smile.
Now that she is older, she likes more grown-up cheese goodies. To my surprise, she can actually handle a little spice and seems to enjoy it. These Spicy Bacon Cheese Rounds are perfect. She’s pretty excited about the bacon.
These rounds come together very quickly and are very easy to make, even with the scary word “knead” in the recipe. 🙂 It’s totally simple. The hardest part is self control when you have one of these cheesy bacony goodies staring you right in the face. Wanna try them? You can totally pin it for later. 😉
These rounds are crisp on the outside and have a nice, warm spice to them! Even without the bacon and cheese on top, these rounds are rich and resemble a savory version of shortbread.
Visit all the other Appetizer Week Blogs for more Snack Time Deliciousness:
- Meatball Bites by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Gluten Free Onion Butter Pretzels by Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker
- Crawfish Dip by Call Me PMc
- Low-Carb Shrimp Guacamole by Yours and Mine Are Ours
- Bourbon Pulled Pork Sliders by Cooking in Stilettos
- Sun-dried Tomato Dip by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Sriracha Butternut Hummus by Farm Fresh Feasts
- Margherita Pizza Sticks by Makobi Scribe
- Chicken Parmesan Meatballs by Flavor Mosaic
- Feta-Stuffed Cherry Tomatoes with Shrimp by Food Lust People Love
- Ham and Sauerkraut Balls by From Gate to Plate
- Cheddar Cayenne Crackers by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Baked Pickle Chips by Lemons for Lulu
- Cheddar Cheese Olive Puffs by Life Off the Clock
- Manchego and Roasted Pepper Stuffed Mushrooms by The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Restaurant-Style Chipotle Salsa by Home Cooking Memories
- Mango Jalapeno Sausage Rolls by Food Done Light
- Ham & Cheese Mini Cracker Sandwiches by Mom’s Test Kitchen
- Spicy Cheese Rounds by Try Anything Once Culinary
- Low Sodium Chicken Stuffed jalapeno Poppersby Cookerati
Scroll down for the Spicy Bacon Cheese Rounds recipe! On your way there, take a peek at these appetizers…
This giveaway is over but it was originally sponsored by Not So Simple Syrup. They can be found on Facebook, and Twitter. Not So Simple Syrup is a small, local maker of simple syrups. Heidi and Barbie’s passion is to create all natural syrups that inspire and stimulate your penchant for amazing mixed drinks as well as iced teas, non-alcoholic beverages and dessert making and baking too. They pride themselves on individual service. When you purchase a NSSS product, you can be sure that it received their personal stamp of approval. Not So Simple Syrup is providing us with a 6-month gift basket subscription for the winner. Each month you will get a gift package with a new theme and everything you need to whip up a favorite recipe from the Not So Simple Syrup crew. Everything but the booze will be included and shipped directly to your door. Like wine of the month, but with simple syrups. It’s the gift that keeps on giving!
***This giveaway is over. Items for this giveaway was provided by Not So Simple Syrup. #AppetizerWeek bloggers have not received product or been compensated as a part of this giveaway.***
I first discovered the original recipe for these Spicy Bacon Cheese Rounds when I saw Melissa D’Arabian (one of my favorite people to watch on The Food Network) in a tv commercial making Corn Flakes Cheese Wafers. After a quick internet search I was able to find the recipe and try them for myself! We loved them and so I thought this would make the perfect recipe to share during appetizer week. If you want to try the origianl recipe you can find it here.
- ½ cup of butter at room temperature
- 2 cups of corn flake cereal
- 1¼ cup of shredded four or five cheese Italian blend
- 1 cup of all purpose flour
- ½ tsp. alaea Hawaiian sea salt
- ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- ½ tsp. cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp. smoked paprika
- ¼ cup (or more) of small bacon pieces
- ¼ cup crushed corn flake cereal for topping
- Add 2 cups of cereal and 1 cup of shredded cheese to your food processor bowl and process into crumbs.
- Then add the butter, cut into at least 8 pieces and scattered on top of the crumbs. Mix until ingredients are combined.
- Add your flour, salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper and smoked paprika, mix until ingredients form a dough that crumbles.
- Lightly flour a flat work surface and turn dough out onto the flour. Press dough together into a ball and knead 6 times to form the ball into a dough. Divide dough into two fairly equal parts and form each part into a long roll about 1 inch across.
- Wrap each roll in plastic clingy wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and unwrap dough, cut into ¼ inch slices and arrange on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Sprinkle about a pinch of bacon and a pinch of cereal on top of each round. Top with a little shredded cheese. Bake for about 10 minutes or until rounds are slightly brown on top. Cool on a wire rack completely before serving.