Slow Cooker Chicken and Tomato Sandwich
Easy Slow Cooker Chicken Dinner
Slow Cooker Chicken Tomato Sandwich with Mozzarella
Ok folks, here’s another really good game day recipe. If this is your first time here, don’t leave if you’re not a sports fan. Game day recipes is code for
lazy efficient recipes that can free up your time for other things! But seriously, you can put these ingredients in your crock pot and let it go for a couple hours. Delegate the cheese slicing, baguette slicing, cheese melting and you have a very efficient meal!
The chicken to tomato ratio makes the flavor very chicken sandwich-like. Don’t let the tomatoes and herbs fool you, this isn’t going to be like a marinara sandwich.
Dinner Recipe for a Busy Weeknight
Now that Tay is getting older she has the privilege of a different kind of homework this year. It’s not the kind you just produce in the ten minute car ride home from school. It takes time to do it, for me to correct it (and figure out what the heck it’s trying to accomplish) and then we talk about it. And we practice math online, sometimes writing. She teaches me what she learned in school that day and fills me in on the playground antics. (sigh) All of this doesn’t take very long but it usually happens when the dinner making takes place. I’d rather be keeping up with her day than fussing over the details of dinner every night. It’s nice to have an easy alternative a few days a week to free up that quality time. On the nights that we head up to the barn we can be short on extra time so that’s two days a week that I really get creative. Crock pot, you save me!
I really really like not having to fuss over dinner while she is trying to holler at me from the kitchen table. I’d rather sit with her and make the most of it. That’s exactly what we did tonight when we had these sandwiches. Homework was done before dinner, we sat and ate and then on with the rest of our night.
The next time you use your slow cooker to handle things while you are busy, think of me doing the same. I love making dinner trying new sauces and different foods that I’ve never even heard of before, but there is a time for an easier alternative. That time has come. Are you celebrating that time as I am?
If you decide to give this recipe a try, I encourage you to play around with it and make it your own. Make it a Mexican inspired chicken dinner with pepper jack cheese or add some eggplant just to get rid of the stuff! Let me know what you try. You can always share a photo on our Facebook page and I’d love to share your version!
What is YOUR busiest night of the week?
- 1 pound of boneless skinless chicken breast
- ¾ pound chopped tomatoes, peel off the skin
- 2 cloves of garlic
- ½ cup chicken, veggie stock or even beef stock
- 2 pinches of Herb de Provence without lavender or your favorite Italian seasoning blend
- 1½ tsp. onion powder
- salt and pepper
- sliced mozzarella cheese
- 1 baguette
- 3 tbsp. butter
- ⅛ cup flour
- Put all of the ingredients in your slow cooker and set it to high. Stir. Set your crock pot / slow cooker on high and let it cook for two hours.
- Chicken will be tender and easy to pull apart into chunks. Drain liquid and reserve.
- Heat a medium size saucepan on medium heat. melt butter in preheated pan, then wisk in flour until smooth. Add a little more butter to make a smooth paste. Add liquid strained from your chicken and wisk in gradually to make a nice, thick gravy. Keep wisking. Once all liquid is incorporated and has simmered for about 8-10 minutes it should be thick and ready to add back to the chicken and tomatoes.
- Slice baguette every 4″ or adjust to fit your desired sandwich size. Spoon chicken into sandwiches and add sliced cheese. Place sandwiches on a baking sheet and cover with foil. bake at 350 for 5-7 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Serve and enjoy!