It doesn’t get much easier than scalloped potatoes. Only three ingredients to bake and dinner is served!
One of my mom’s go to dinners when we were little was scalloped potatoes. Sometimes we had this when friends came over and sometimes we had scalloped potatoes because they’re quick and easy to put together. And melted cheese with potatoes makes an incredibly delicious dinner.
We had a friend or two try and correct us, saying that it was actually “potatoes gratin” but my brother and I just rolled our eyes and picked the cheese off the foil. That was one of our favorite things to do.
If there were any bits of cheese stuck to the pan, usually these pieces were darker than the rest, we would go for that too. Those pieces were always the best.
A Family Favorite
Scalloped potatoes is a comfort food for me and I think that’s why I make it for my family. Well, besides it being such an easy meal to put together. You can serve it as the main dish or as a side. With a salad this could very well be dinner. Once in awhile mom used to add sliced ham and I’ve done that before too.
Use What You Have
I’ve had suggestions to add onions or garlic or both. I’ve tried all three of those and we didn’t care for them. We prefer this simple recipe. You can definitely change it up at your house, in fact I encourage you to add in what you like! 🙂 Add ham or steak or roasted peppers if you want. Use your favorite cheese and totally make it your own!
The recipe below is more of a guide since you’ll need to adapt it to fit your pan and how many layers you want. In the video and the photographs I have made a three layer pan of scalloped potatoes but you can add more layers for a larger dish or less for fewer servings.
This is a part of my Friday video series. I hope you’ll take a peek at the video and subscribe to our YouTube channel. 🙂 Are there any ingredients you often find yourself wondering what to do with? Or leftovers?
- about 7-8 medium sized russet potatoes
- 7 cups of shredded cheese
- ½ cup half and half (or milk if you prefer)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Wash and slice your potatoes, removing the skin if you prefer it that way.
- In the bottom of a 13 by 9 inch baking pan, place a single layer of sliced potatoes that slightly overlap in places.
- Sprinkle cheese to evenly coat one layer.
- Spread another layer of potato slices and overlap if you want.
- Sprinkle another layer of cheese.
- Repeat the potato and cheese layer.
- Pour milk over the top of the cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes or until potatoes are tender and cooked through.
If you add more than three layers you may need to bake longer to cook the potatoes.