Pumpkin Cardamom Yeast Bread November 2013 Twelve Loaves
Pumpkin Cardamom Yeast Bread
People always say “I can’t believe how fast time is going” and that is exactly what is crossing my mind as I get to share November’s bread challenge! I really mean it though, I cannot believe that it is November. Halloween done and the decor nearly put away, Thanksgiving is just around the corner and then comes Christmas! Wasn’t it just summer, like, yesterday? I know that keeping busy helps to pass the time but I’d like for it to slow down just a pinch.
Ever since I shared with you how much of a pumpkin lover I am not, I’ve been showering you with pumpkin treats. Pretty ironic, isn’t it? I’ve been looking for pumpkin recipes that can celebrate the flavor without feeling like I am being pumpkin-slapped.
I was pretty fortunate when I came across this bread recipe. I wish I could tell you that I made an elaborate recipe all by myself, but there is no need to reinvent the wheel just to say that I did. I don’t even have my own version of this metaphorical wheel, so today I’m sharing a recipe that I found and enjoy.
We brought back a small jar of cardamom pods from France this summer and I adore the fragrance. I have used cardamom on occasion and I find the flavor pleasantly spiced and complimentary to cinnamon and nutmeg. I would love to hear of any savory recipes that you’ve made with cardamom because I would like to know more about this flavorful culinary treasure.
My first experience with cardamom was in a bread that a friend had baked. It was a beautiful braided loaf with sweet glaze. I’ve used cardamom in bread and cinnamon rolls. I’ve also been known to sneak it into a cake here and there!
I think one of my favorite things to do is to get my hands on something that was once ordinary and discovering ways to make it useful in my own way.
I’m on a mission to use as much of this fresh cardamom as possible so don’t hesitate to hit me up on Facebook or leave me a comment with your knowledge. You can also send me pins on Pinterest! Don’t be shy…
This bread is such a welcome treat after a day of candy and things I don’t normally eat. My body always reminds me of why we don’t eat like that and each year I vow to change my ways next Halloween. I’m working on it.
A slice of this toasted with almond butter and my raspberry pear jam is a really good way to start back on the right path. No sugar in my jam, I can sip my tea with this and think of the upcoming holidays. Are you excited?!?
I changed the spices up a bit when I made this recipe. (Link for the recipe is at the end of this post.) In addition to the salt, I spiced it with 1 tsp. cardamom, 1/4 tsp. ginger, 1/4 tsp. cinnamon and 1/8 tsp. nutmeg. As for me, I ended up using more flour than the approximate amount in the recipe. Since the dough for a full batch makes two loaves, I like to bake one loaf of bread and do a little something that I like even more with the other half. Wanna see?
I want to send out a huge thank you to my friends at Twelve Loaves along with Lora, Renee, and everyone that makes the group possible for us to bake with new themes every month. Thank you so much.
Have you seen what my fellow bread makers have baked for us this month?
- Cinnamon-Cardamom Buns by Heather at girlichef
- Cinnamon Crusted Pumpkin Bread by Liz at That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cinnamon Doughnut Muffins by Dorothy at Shockingly Delicious
- Cinnamon, Orange and Chocolate Chip Bread by Deepti at Baking Yummies
- Cinnamon Swirl Pumpkin Rolls by Karen at Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Cocoa Clove Pumpkin Bread by Renee at Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Ginger Pull-Apart Bread by Lora at Cake Duchess
- Honey Spice Bread by Holly at A Baker’s House
- Persimmon Gingerbread Muffins with Caramel Drizzle by Krista at A Handful of Everything
- Pumpkin Cardamom Bread by Dionne at Try Anything Once Culinary
- Spiced Buns by Renee at Magnolia Days
- Sumac Spicy Crackers by Rossella at Ma Che Ti Sei Mangiato
- Sweet Potato Spice Swirl Bread by Paula at Vintage Kitchen Notes
#TwelveLoaves November-Spice. October #TwelveLoaves was about baking with Root Vegetables. It was quite a delicious month! Temperatures are dropping and it is the right moment to explore bread and SPICE! Share your November Spice Bread (yeast or quick bread). Let’s get baking!
If you’d like to add your bread to the collection with the Linky Tool this month, here’s what you need to do!
1. When you post your Twelve Loaves bread on your blog, make sure that you mention the Twelve Loaves challenge in your blog post; this helps us to get more members as well as share everyone’s posts. Please make sure that your bread is inspired by the theme!
2. Please link your post to the linky tool at the bottom of my blog. It must be a bread baked to the Twelve Loaves theme.
3. Have your Twelve Loaves bread that you baked this November, 2013, and posted on your blog by November 30, 2013.
#TwelveLoaves is a monthly bread baking party created by Lora from Cake Duchess. #TwelveLoaves runs so smoothly thanks to the help of the lovely Paula from Vintage Kitchen Notes and Renee from Magnolia Days.
If you would like to try the bread recipe that I used to make this bread, you can find it by clicking here.