Peanut butter cup cookies have a soft outside with a whole mini peanut butter cup inside! Trust me, these are habit forming.
Peanut Butter Cup Cookies
While these peanut butter cup cookies were originally shared during Christmas week, they are definitely a cookie that could be and should be enjoyed twelve months out of the year. They just happen to be Santa’s favorite. 🙂
At a glance these cookies look pretty ordinary. You may not think these should even be a part of Christmas Week at all. There are no candy canes, no resemblance to reindeer and no reference to snowmen but I assure you that there are peanut butter cups in these peanut butter cup cookies.
These Peanut Butter Cup Cookies are Santa’s favorite cookie. Yes, you read that correctly. Santa is a pure sucker for peanut butter and peanut butter cups hidden inside soft, melt-in-your-mouth peanut butter cookie dough are good enough to take you off the naughty list! If you were on there to begin with. I won’t judge you. 🙂
But seriously friend, if you are on the naughty list, make a note of this recipe or even just this idea and give it a try. Write a little note to Santa and let him know you are making his favorite this year. He’ll know what you mean. 😉
I started making these cookies a few years ago. I had some mini peanut butter cups hanging around and I ended up putting them inside peanut butter cookie dough.
I crushed them a little with my fingers and placed them inside of the dough. You can see little pictures in the recipe at the bottom of this post. A very good friend of mine who also happens to share my birthday names these his favorite cookie. After I sent these to him I was showered with compliments for days! He is such a sweetheart. If I had my way I would bake for him every day. He has such a selfless spirit and a caring heart. He deserves cookies every day. 🙂 Hopefully he doesn’t read this because he might actually hold me to it…
- ½ cup butter, at room temperature
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar
- ½ tsp. vanilla
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 egg, at room temperature
- 1 cup of creamy peanut butter
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- 1½ cups of flour
- at least 30 mini peanut butter cups unwrapped
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream butter and sugars together until light and fluffy. Mix for about 1½ minutes, then scrape the paddle if you are using a stand mixer and continue to mix for another 1½-2 minutes.
- Beat in egg, vanilla and salt until egg is completely incorporated and the batter is smooth.
- Add peanut butter and mix. Scrape bowl with a spatula and continue to mix again until the peanut butter is fully incorporated.
- Now add the baking soda and flour. Stir in using your stand mixer or a spatula until the flour is completely incorporated.
- Scoop cookie batter by the spoonful and roll cookie dough into 1½ inch balls.
- Flatten dough ball into your hand.
- Holding a mini peanut butter cup in your other hand, place the cup between your thumb and your fingers. Press your thumb into the cup, crushing it into a few pieces and place into the center of your flattened cookie dough.
- Form a ball around the crushed peanut butter cup, completely enclosing it in cookie dough.
- Place onto a non stick baking sheet. You can line a sheet with parchment paper or use a silicone mat if you prefer.
- Bake for 11-13 minutes. When I make these, they are not shiny but they nearly start to crack near the edges and *almost* start to brown a little on the very edges. I usually get 2½ dozen cookies from one batch. Number of cookies will vary according to the actual size of your dough balls.