Welcome to Day #5 of Christmas Week, a multi-blogger event co-hosted by Kim of Cravings of a Lunatic and Jen from Juanita’s Cocina! Each day we will be celebrating the holidays with a different set of Christmas-themed treats, as well as a fabulous Christmas giveaway. We hope you enjoy this fabulous event. Tune in each day starting today, Monday, December 9th and ending Saturday, December 14th.
Lemon Sandwich Cookies
When I was planning my #ChristmasWeek “menu” I noticed that mostly chocolate cookie recipes came to mind so I had to change it up and share these lemon sandwich cookies. I haven’t had very many chocolate cookie posts before, but this week there was sort of a theme. You may have noticed that chocolate and peanut butter are a favorite of mine. When we bake at home, there is usually chocolate involved because my other half is completely bonkers for it. Some of those recipes haven’t made it onto the blog yet. He does strongly dislike peanut butter though, so this was definitely a good week to make some peanut butter and chocolate cookies! At least I had you to share them with.
This cookie is for our friends that cannot eat chocolate for one reason or another. Everyone gets cookies at our table! Tuck this recipe away for your friends that don’t eat chocolate for whatever reason and make them these cute little sandwich cookies.
These are an adaptation from the lemonade cookie recipe that we had adapted months ago. I went the extra mile and piped the dough onto the cookie sheet so that the cookies would bake into a more rounded shape, beautiful enough to serve at any holiday party! These lemon cookies are well liked by the kiddos so I know there will be no problem watching these disappear.
These Lemon Sandwich Cookies are our contribution to day 5 of Christmas Week! Please take a sec and peek at the little menu below. Visit my fellow bakers (and no bakers) to see what they’ve made for you. Don’t forget to enter the giveaway by filling out the Rafflecopter form below! I want to say a big huge thank you to our sponsors for the giveaway goodies this week. One more day to go, and so far it’s been a great week getting better and better every day!
Visit all the other Christmas Week Peeps for more Holiday Baking Goodness:
- Christmas Fudge by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Peanut Butter Cup Fudge by Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts
- Peppermint Mocha Tart by See Aimee Cook
- Peanut Brittle by Noshing With The Nolands
- Spiced Cranberry Holiday Margaritas by Pineapple and Coconut
- Turtle Bark by The Girl In The little Red Kitchen
- Peppermint Stick Ice Cream Sauce by Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker
- Mexican Spiced Hot Chocolate by My Catholic Kitchen
- Pomegranate-Ginger Champagne Cocktail by The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Kletzenbrot – Christmas Fruit Bread from Tyrol by Masala Herb
- Spiked Butterscotch Hot Chocolate by Dizzy Busy and Hungry
- Frozen Mint Cookie Pie by The Messy Baker
- Stuffed Nut Roll Cookies by Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
- Irish Cream Tiramisu by Cooking In Stilettos
- Lemon Sandwich Cookies by Try Anything Once Culinary
- Orange Creamsicle Fudge by Home Cooking Memories
- Stained Glass Window Cookies by Like Mother Like Daughter
- Eggnog and Cranberry Thumbprints by The Dutch Baker’s Daughter
Today’s #ChristmasWeek giveaway comes courtesy of Freund Container & Supply. Freund Container & Supply has been helping build businesses since 1938 as the largest distributor of glass bottles, containers, and wholesale packaging supplies online. Freund offers over 5,000 items in stock every day, 98% same day shipping, and low-price guarantees. Take a look at Freund’s wide selection of jars, tins, bottles and vials for all your crafting and food related needs!
Today’s winner will receive one $250 Freund gift certificate, as well as one copy of “The Pioneer Woman Cooks: A Year of Holidays”. To enter, read the details and use the Rafflecopter below!
***This giveaway is for one $250 gift certificate to Freund Container & Supply, as well as one copy of “The Pioneer Woman Cooks: A Year of Holidays”. Gift certificate is a one-time use certificate and must be used in its entirety; any leftover monies on the gift certificate will be forfeited. This giveaway is open to both US and Canadian residents. However, it should be noted that due to current International shipping rates, any Canadian winners will pay higher shipping costs for orders. ***
(The giveaway is over )
***Disclaimer: This gift certificate is being provided by Freund Container & Supply, while the cookbook has been provided by Juanita’s Cocina. #ChristmasWeek bloggers have not received product or been compensated as a part of this giveaway.***
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 stick of butter at room temperature
- a pinch of alaea Hawaiian sea salt
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- juice of one lemon + lemonade to equal 6 ounces
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 3 cups of sifted flour
- 8 oz. siftened cream cheese
- 4 cups of powdered sugar
- ½ tsp. lemon juice
- 4 tbsp. room temperature butter
- Zest lemon and measure ½ cup sugar into a large mixing bowl and combine for 1 minute using paddle attachment of a stand mixer or a wisk if by hand. Then add remaining ½ cup of sugar and mix for 1 minute.
- Add butter and mix until thoroughly incorporated. Be sure to scrape spatula and bottom of the mixing bowl.
- Then add the pinch of salt and fold in the Greek yogurt.
- Fold in the lemon juice combined with the lemonade.
- Now it’s time to fold in the baking soda and the sifted flour. I recommend adding the flour one cup at a time. Keep folding until completely incorporated.
- Spoon batter into a pastry bag or plastic zipper bag and cut a hole in one of the corners for piping if you are using a plastic zipper bag. Pipe batter into a circle, spiraling from the inside out. Mine are usually 1¾ inches by 1¾ inches before baking.
- Bake for 8 minutes or until the very tips of the edges start to almost turn light brown.
- Cool on the baking sheet for at least five minutes before transferring to a cooling rack. Be sure that they have completely cooled before filling.
- To make the frosting to fill these cookies, add cream cheese, powdered sugar and lemon juice into a mixing bowl along with the butter. Wisk on medium speed until smooth.
- Spoon into a pastry bag or a plastic zipper bag, cutting a hole in one of the corners if necessary.
- Squeeze frosting onto the “bottom” of one cookie leaving about ¼ inch from the side. Place one of the other cookies on top of the frosting, bottom to bottom, and slightly squeeze.
- This recipe should make approximately 22 sandwich cookies, depending on the size of your cookies.