Game Day Slow Cooker Brats & Grilled Slaw
Game Day Slow Cooker Bratwurst, Caramelized Onions & Grilled Coleslaw
Believe it or not, I do like to watch football. I yell at the tv with my other half (not as much as he does so maybe I’m not really into it). If you’ve been to my house on game day you know that I’m usually in the kitchen cooking
and cleaning and bringing out courses of munchies. We get hungry and meals don’t fix themselves.
This season I am turning over a new leaf and using my slow cooker on game day! Previous seasons have left me in the kitchen trying things not-slow-cookered on game days. That ends now.
For these brats I could have just tossed everything into the cooker and let it ride, but I browned the brats first and let them simmer in beef broth for a few. Then into the magic cauldron they went! And out came dinner. I thought about calling these drunken slow cooker brats.
Ironically, by the time I sat down with dinner to watch the game, I didn’t feel like watching it. (sigh) But I did anyway. It was awesome. Not only did the Seahawks beat the 49′ers but the fans broke the record for the loudest stadium.
Take a load off, sit down and watch the next game! Put these in the slow cooker with some beer (if you can spare some) and let the cooker do the work. When you are ready for my grilled slaw recipe you can click here. As you can see the brat recipe is below so be sure to print them both or even Pin them for later! And if you don’t have a slow cooker yet or need a new one, there are some below this recipe that I really liked based on recommendations and a couple from my own experience.
- package of 6 brats
- package of 6 rolls
- 3 medium sized onions, sliced into rounds
- 2 cups of beer, you can substitute with beef stock or chicken stock
- salt and pepper for seasoning
- 1 tsp. chili powder seasoning
- 1 tbsp. worcestershire sauce
- one batch of grilled slaw, link to recipe at the end of this post
- Preheat a pan on your stove top and place brats on preheated pan. Let sit directly on the bottom of the pan with no oil or spray for about 5 minutes until browned. While brats are browning, slice your onions and set on top of your brats in the pan. Pour 1 cup of beer or stock onto brats. This will deglaze your pan and un-stick the brats from the bottom. Cover and cook on medium heat for 20 minutes or until brats are nearly cooked through.
- Place your brats and onions in a preheated slow cooker with 1 cup of beer or stock on high heat. Add chili powder, worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Let everything slow cook for at least 3 hours.
- When you are ready to eat, grill one bun per person. Pile on a generous heaping amount of grilled slaw and lay one brat with onions atop the slaw.
Shop for a slow cooker and start making game day easier!