Let me assure you this cranberry jam is anything but tart, at least in my opinion. Maybe it’s the addition of frozen strawberries. Cranberries are not everyone’s favorite, especially if your mind immediately thinks of the odd shape of cranberry sauce from a can and the taste. I don’t mind canned cranberry sauce but this homemade recipe is thee best. And this jam is just as amazing. You can add more sugar if you’d like it sweeter so it’s pretty much a guaranteed win.
You can make this jam any time of year by using frozen strawberries and frozen cranberries too. This is a treat we look forward to around Thanksgiving and Christmas time but if the craving happens in spring or summer, no problem.
This jam makes an excellent hostess gift for holiday parties and fits into any meal! Breakfast? Spread it on French toast! Time for lunch? PB & Cranberry Jam! And for dinner, perfect on warm dinner rolls.
- 2 bags of cranberries fresh or frozen
- 1½ cup frozen strawberries
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp cardamom
- 2 cups sugar
- ¾ cup cranberry/berry blend juice
- zest and juice of one orange
- In a medium sized pot, combine ingredients and cook on medium heat.
- Cover for the first 30 minutes or so, stirring occasionally.
- Turn heat down to medium low and let it simmer until the jam begins to thicken.
- Cook until the jam is reduced and almost thick enough to be spreadable. This takes just under 90 minutes for me.
- It will thicken more after it has cooled.