Cooking with quinoa is great idea if you want a quick lunch or dinner with what you already have at home. Today I made a chicken red pepper & quinoa salad.
Cooking With Quinoa
I avoided quinoa for a long time because I thought it would be difficult to prepare. I know, I know, I’m supposed to be fearless and diving into new experiences with anticipation but I just put this one on the back shelf. Literally.
After I saw a beautiful photo of a quinoa recipe (made by a friend) I just had to try it. The texture was unlike anything I had ever experienced before and I was surprised that the flavor was very, very mild and pleasant. With just a hint of nuttyness, quinoa also reminded me of brown rice when it comes to the flavor.
Much faster to cook than rice, quinoa has taken a front row seat in my pantry. In very little time I can put together a quinoa salad with what I have and dinner (or lunch) is ready.
Use What You Have
I added some cooked chicken to my quinoa but you can use what you have. Cubed steak, bratwurst, pulled pork…go for it. Add a seasonal veggie that you like for good measure too. 🙂
What is your favorite quinoa recipe?
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 cups broth or water, seasoned with salt
- 1½-2 cups of diced chicken, cooked
- 3 chopped roasted red peppers
- additional salt and pepper for seasoning
- In a medium sized pot add water with salt to season. Turn the heat on medium high and while this is heating, rinse your quinoa if you haven't already.
- After rinsing and completely draining, add the quinoa to the pot and cover with a lid. Keep checking periodically to see how it's doing. You just want to cook it until the liquid is absorbed. For me, this takes about 15-20 minutes.
- After liquid is gone, remove from heat and add a little salt and pepper. Stir in your chicken and peppers. Cover and let everything sit together for about 10 minutes. the heat from the quinoa will warm the chicken and peppers.
- Serve and enjoy! This makes an excellent lunch or dinner.
This recipe can serve 6 for lunch when serving smaller portions with a piece of fruit or a little something on the side.
Want to see more quinoa recipes?