This Chicken Black Bean Burrito Bowl recipe makes a satisfying meal and it’s a great dinner to start working into your weeknight dinner rotation.
✓ Make Ahead ✓ Whole Food Ingredients ✓ Weeknight Dinner (35 min.)
Chicken Black Bean Burrito Bowl
Believe it or not, even though I am a food blogger meals on a busy schedule are challenging. And yes, I do take out sometimes. For lunch and dinner on busy nights, I need these options too and to avoid the pressure I like to make things ahead of time that my daughter and I like to eat. We’re both really really into tacos, burritos, nachos and anything close to them including burrito bowls.
A few weekends ago I cooked a big batch of this chicken (doubling the recipe below) and made enough burrito bowls for dinner the first night (we had friends over) and lunch the next day. I had cheese out for the few who were into it.
As you’ll see in the recipe notes below, you’ll want at least 1/2 lime worth of juice to squeeze over the bowl before eating. I wasn’t able to taste the lime juice in the leftover burrito bowl thanks to the rice soaking it up so a fresh squeeze was just what it needed.
This burrito bowl recipe comes in handy during the week when I like to cook once and eat twice, making enough for two dinners. It’s a good time saver, don’t you think?
You might prefer refried beans in your burrito bowl or maybe even pinto beans so change it up! Make your own burrito bowl and fill it with your favorite burrito ingredients. Let me know what you come up with, will you?
- 1 pound cubed chicken breast
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp cumin
- 3 cups of cooked white rice (per bowl ¾ cup cooked)
- one can 15 oz. black beans rinsed and drained
- ½ cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 limes
- olive oil
- sour cream
- For this recipe you’ll want to have your rice already cooked and ready to use.
- Preheat your stove top burner to medium heat (from 1-10 I like to use 6 for this) and also preheat a large pan.
- Drizzle a little oil in the bottom of the pan and begin to cook the chicken.
- Season with salt, pepper, chili powder and cumin, continuing to cook and stir.
- While the chicken is cooking rinse and drain the beans, chop the cilantro and slice the limes in half if you haven’t already.
- In a medium sized bowl add rice and chopped cilantro. Drizzle with a little oil, just enough to lightly coat. Mix together and add a little more oil if necessary.
- Now squeeze the juice from both limes onto the rice and stir together.
- Divide the rice into four bowls, next divide the beans and arrange on top of the rice.
- After the chicken is fully cooked, divide between the four bowls and top with guacamole, salsa and sour cream.
I listed total prep time as 25 minutes since it takes me 20 minutes to cook rice in my cooker and that's about how long it takes to cook the chicken so if my rice isn't cooked ahead of time, it can be done in about the same time as the chicken if I start the rice first. I added 5 minutes just in case.