Welcome to Day #4 of Appetizer Week, a multi-blogger event co-hosted by Kim of Cravings of a Lunatic and Kristen from Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker. With the big football game coming up, we wanted to make sure you had plenty of ideas for your game day spread. Each day we will be dishing up a different set of appetizers. We hope you enjoy this fabulous group of recipes. Tune in each day starting with Monday, January 20 and ending on Saturday, January 25. Lots of great prizes will be up for grabs so you do not want to miss one single day. Follow #AppetizerWeek on Twitter to keep up to date with all our amazing recipes and giveaways!
Baked Mozzarella Sticks Appetizer
I love fried food as long as I am not the one doing the frying. I’ve done it before and I’ll totally do it again if I need to, but it isn’t my favorite thing to do. My favorite way to prepare food is to BAKE IT! Especially when I am preparing a lot of food at once. Watching over my frying pot and managing that whilst prepping other apps for the Big Game is not my idea of a good time so I decided to add these Baked Mozzarella Sticks to the Appetizer Week menu.
I love the melty and smooth mozzarella inside of a crispy, savory exterior and this one makes my eyes widen with excitement every time.
These don’t take long to prepare either and I love that. This is another thing that can totally be delegated to one of your friends coming over to watch the
Seahawks beat the Broncos Big Game. After all if you want to eat you need to help, right?
The idea of coating the cheese twice doesn’t bother me but do make sure to coat every inch of the cheese if you can.
One of the pains of frying cheese sticks (at least in my experience) is the cheese leaking out of the breading and making a mess within the frying pot. It doesn’t happen every time but all it takes is one and oh what a mess!
During the baking process, some cheese did leak out of some of these sticks, but I didn’t fret. Well, I did for a moment but I got over it and I did what I always do. We always take great care to coat the cheese in all stages but for us, this happens. (see photo)
Let the mozzarella sticks cool for a few minutes and just cut away the escaped cheese. That’s what I did with some of the sticks in the photo at the top and you can’t even tell. The kids and my other half were totally willing to “discard the evidence” since melted cheese is a delicacy around here. So if the cheese leaks out, don’t even worry. Just do your best to coat it, bake it and enjoy!
Do you have a “secret” for containing the cheese when you make mozzarella sticks?
Visit all the other Appetizer Week blogs for more amazing recipes:
- Bacon Jalapeno Poppers by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Cheesy Goodness Melts by Kiss My Smoke
- Turkey Meatballs with Blackberry Sauce by Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker
- BBQ Flavored Popcorn by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Loaded Sweet Potato Waffle Fries by Food Done Light
- Caramelized Onion Dip by Cooking in Stilettos
- Bacon Wrapped Smokies with Brown Sugar by What’s Cooking, Love?
- Almond Crusted Baked Eggplant by Je suis alimentageuse
- Chicken Mozzarella Potstickers by Makobi Scribe
- Crab Rangoon Dip by Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
- Mini Chicken Tacos by Clarks Condensed
- Cured Ham & Olive Tortilla Pinwheels by From Gate to Plate
- Mustard and Gruyere Batons by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Spiced Nuts by My Catholic Kitchen
- Crispy Cheese Twists by Life Off the Clock
- Baked Sriracha Bites by Organized Island
- Mini Pita Pizzas by Home Cooking Memories
- Slow Cooker Salsa Pulled Chicken Sliders by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Green Hummus by Mom’s Test Kitchen
- Baked Mozzarella Sticks by Try Anything Once Culinary
- Low Sodium Cauliflower-Potato Bitesby Cookerati
- Pickled Pepper and Pepperoni Puff Pastry Pizza/Pinwheelsby Farm Fresh Feasts
- Sriracha Chicken Pocketsby Lemons for Lulu
- Candied Baconby That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Baby Asparagus Wrapped in Prosciuttoby Food Lust People Love
- Crispy Baked Green Bean Friesby Dizzy Busy and Hungry
Our sponsor today is Savorx. They are providing a Spiceologist Block. Knife block meets spice rack in this beautiful European Beech block filled with 22 glass vials of fresh spices. Beautify your kitchen in one easy step! Not only is it gorgeous it will help you be creative in the kitchen by keeping your most used spices close at hand. You can follow Savorx on Facebook.
***Disclaimer: This giveaway is being provided by SavorX.
#AppetizerWeek bloggers have not received product or been compensated as a part of this giveaway.***
Below you will find the recipe that my family uses for Baked Mozzarella Sticks. We adapted our version from this recipe here. Feel free to check it out and put your own spin on it! I hope you are having a good week.
- 4 cups of corn flake cereal
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning mix
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. finely ground sea salt
- ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup flour
- 2 egg whites, whipped with a fork
- 2 tbsp. water
- 8 oz. mozzarella cheese cut into 12 sticks
- Measure cereal into a large, thick zippy bag and seal.
- Using a rolling pin, pound that bag silly until the cereal is crushed into small crumbs.
- Add onion powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper and Italian seasoning to the cereal crumbs in the bag. Reseal and toss the bag to mix the spices.
- Empty contents of the bag onto a large flat plate.
- Measure flour onto a plate.
- Add egg whites and water to a bowl and whisk with a fork.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F and get out a cookie sheet but do not grease it.
- One at a time, coat the mozzarella sticks in flour, egg wash and then the dry mixture. Repeat with the same cheese stick. Each stick will need to be coated twice and take care to also coat the ends as well.
- Arrange on a baking sheet so that they are evenly spaced.
- Bake for 7 minutes or until the coating is a nice golden brown color.
- If some of the cheese melts and starts to escape from the breading, just let the sticks cool slightly and trim off the melted cheese.