Grilled coleslaw is the most requested recipe here at Try Anything Once Culinary because of the flavor of grilled cabbage combined with this tangy, creamy dressing. This is a must make for all your friend and family get togethers! Update 9/15/16~ This is one of my go to recipes for summer and fall. I LOVE grilling my cabbage for coleslaw and this dressing is awesome. I use this for regular salads too.
I have never ever in my life been a fan of coleslaw until we went to a local seafood place and I ordered the fish and chips. It came with a side of coleslaw that really looked beautiful with finely shredded purple and green cabbage. A tangy vinaigrette adorned with poppy seeds, this was the most delicious coleslaw that I had ever tried. I actually ate it all.
Walking by the cabbage in the produce section, I wondered if I could make a coleslaw recipe of my own. Curious about grilled cabbage, I started working on a recipe that was reminiscent of that first coleslaw I ever liked but different.
The dressing is creamy and is similar to the poppy seed dressing that you can buy in the pre-packaged salad section. This dressing is ideal because everyone that makes it can adapt it to fit his or her personal preference. I started making this for potlucks and cookouts that we went to and this quickly became the most requested recipe. We are met with cheers of joy when we arrive at a party with a large container of this coleslaw in hand. It’s always such a big hit!
Perfect as a side, this grilled coleslaw makes a perfect burger, sandwich or hot dog topping.
When I first started using our BBQ my favorite thing to grill was chicken. I burned it quite a few times. There is a balance between cooking it to perfection and burning it to a crisp. My first save was surprisingly successful as I scraped off the burned parts of the chicken and tossed the meat in with some coleslaw. That chicken coleslaw sandwich was an ideal way to save burned chicken! 😀
Want to see how easy it is to make grilled cabbage coleslaw? Take a peek at this video:
- 1 small head of purple cabbage
- 1 small head of green cabbage
- 1½ cups shredded carrots (optional)
- 2 cup mayonaise or 1 cup mayo and 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 4 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 pinches of salt
- 2 pinches of pepper
- Cut cabbage into quarters and place on grill.
- Grill on each side for about 5-7 minutes per side. Usually I judge if my cabbage is ready to turn if I can see light grill marks.
- When all sides are grilled, place on a large platter or plate and set aside. As for the dressing I have been doubling the recipe above just to make sure I have enough. Up to you.
- Combine mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, olive oil, honey, onion powder, salt and pepper and whisk until smooth.
- Taste and add seasoning to make it perfect for you.
- Once the cabbage is cooled to just above room temperature cut your cabbage into small bite size pieces and add shredded carrots.
- Add about half of the dressing and then toss the slaw really good until all pieces are coated. Add more dressing as needed and toss well.
- Let slaw sit in the dressing for at least one-half hour before serving.